My Interpretation of Hyperballad

My Interpretation of A Truly Amazing Song...

Bjork- Hyperballad

We live on a mountain
Right at the top
There's a beautiful view
From the top of the mountain

Every morning I walk towards the edge
And throw little things off
Like:Car parts, bottles and cutlery
Or whatever I find lying around
It's become a habit
A way
To start the day

I go through all this
Before you wake up
So I can feel happier
To be safe up here with you

It's early morning
No one is awake
I'm back at my cliff
Still throwing things off
I listen to the sounds they make
On their way down
I follow with my eyes 'til they crash
Imagine what my body would sound like
Slamming against those rocks

When it lands
Will my eyes
Be closed or open?

I go through all this
Before you wake up
So I can feel happier
To be safe up here with you

This is a truly beautiful song by Bjork. When I heard the song, the lyrics felt so powerful, even more so than when reading. From the first playing... I was hooked. Hyperballad is now my 8th most played song on iTunes, at 118 plays. I have always been a person biased towards songs (and artists) who have deep, meaningful lyrics, as opposed to the catchy lyrics in a Lady GaGa or Britney Spears song.

Many interpret the lyrics to be about a women in an abusive relationship. I differ, i believe it to be about a women who has her faults and 'throws little things off' to protect the relationship, to not take it out on her partner.

The relationship is clearly fragile, as stated in the first verse 'we live on a mountain. Right at the top.' They are in love, and its strong but it is an effort to continue, to go on with this relationship as she has her faults.

She needs the private time alone 'before you wake up' to purge herself from the day to day issues which eat away at long term relationships 'throw little things off... bottles and cutlery or whatever is lying around'. These little rituals that people do to keep them sane, their vices 'its become a habit, a way to start the day' Some start with a shower, or coffee; she needs to be destructive.

In being destructive 'till they crash' it would seem that she is two different people, the one at 'the edge' and the other with her partner. Not wanting to fall out of love is what urges her to use the symbolic items as a catharsis. 'Imagine what my body would sound like, slamming against those rocks.' The mind wonders to how it would feel to fall out of love, to fall from the 'mountain'. She questions whether or not it would be a shock 'slamming', or if she would care 'will my eyes be closed or opened'.

Hyperballad explores the theme of vices. The idea that nobody is perfect. Everyone has faults, imperfections but they way in which we deal with them is what makes us an individual. We are human, social creatures, but at times we need to be alone. To cleanse ourselves and let the 'other' side to our personalities shine. It is just human nature.

Symone
xoxo

0 comments: