Dorothy Parker: A Few Reasons Why I Love Her...

Dorothy Parker... Hmm... Well, her words are like my Bible. She is amazing. I know this is a cliche but, if one day I am half as good as she is, that would be enough. Well... Here's a bit of her work.

Two Quotes:

'Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.'

'By the time you swear you are his,
shivering and sighing,
And he vows his passion is
infinite and undying-
Lady, make a note of this:
One of you is lying'

And the beautiful 'Little Words' (poem):

Little Words
When you are gone, there is nor bloom nor leaf,
Nor singing sea at night, nor silver birds;
And I can only stare, and shape my grief
In little words.
I cannot conjure loveliness, to drown
The bitter woe that racks my cords apart.
The weary pen that sets my sorrow down
Feeds at my heart.
There is no mercy in the shifting year,
No beauty wraps me tenderly about.
I turn to little words- so you, my dear,
Can spell them out.


Do you see now, why I love her so?
Symone xxxxx

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can really see your influenced by Dorothy Parker from your poetry now. You both seem to have an abrupt style, where the sentences aren't quite whole, yet straight to the point and seem to leave something unsaid. Unintentional, or a secret skill?

You also both seem very realistic, if not cynical, when it comes to the theory of perfect love and yet both seem desperately heartbroken in your words....Are you both, perhaps, made cynical BY your broken hearts?

Goodness, the things we learn from poetry i feel like i know you better already!!!

NB: I must also add, surely not all men are as terrible as the ones in your poetry?