Robyn's Personal Statement: 3rd Try

Mozart wrote his first composition aged 5. Picasso discovered his talent for painting aged 9. I penned my first poem aged 7. I could never say how I feel when I write poetry; but I could write it. When that inspiration hits and your fingers itch for the sensation of putting pen to paper, lest the ideas should fade, you do not think of themes or subtext. You scribble the outpour and turn inspiration to words, emotions to themes, instinct to subtext. Your entire being becomes the words you write and the euphoria from writing them.

My love of literature lines the paper on which author’s write. I have always had a love of reading and writing that differed from children of my age. While they giggled at the adventures of Spot the dog, I revelled in the rich description of Burnett’s The Secret Garden. Today, I find solitude in a variety of texts from Woolf’s The Waves or Lessing’s The Golden Notebook, with my favourite being those that push their society’s boundaries such as Rushdie’s Midnight’s Children and Hardy’s Jude the Obscure.

This love of literature played an integral part in choosing my A level courses. With my love of international literature, such as Balzac’s Old Goriot and Puskin’s Eugene Onegin, came my decision to study French. I always felt that when novels are translated, they lose the authors lexical and syntactical crafting and so I have since become determined to be fluent in French. Politics allowed me to explore the power of rhetoric in shaping our political system and exercise my passion for debating, which began when I competed in debating competitions for my school. English literature & language allowed me to not only analyse author’s work but learn how they craft it and I loved the creative writing element of the course. Law gave me the understanding of our legal system and allowed me to go on to teach it in a simpler way. I created and presented a stop & search rights assembly for year 10 and found the challenge of entertaining while teaching an exhilarating affair.

While the first, this was not the last time I taught or organised teaching opportunities for students. Two others and I won funding from Sports Relief to run a 12 week kickboxing class for 20 sixth formers, which students finished with a level 1 kickboxing qualification. I was also a teaching assistant in a year 9 and 10 English class for 8 months. For the year 9 class, I went on to teach a GCSE preparation lesson and from the year 10 class I met two girls who I began to mentor. In the future, I hope to become a social entrepreneur at the forefront of ending young people’s growing apathy toward reading and writing.

Finding this university course was like a cliché in a romance novel. Our eyes met across a screen crowded with courses and I weakened at the knees. Everything, from the modules to the tutors to the campus is perfect for helping me to achieve my dream of becoming a successful author and poet. I became determined to ensure that I would be reading my name on the top of an acceptance letter.

Writing comes as naturally to me as flying to a bird but even the birds must spend some time sinking and soaring in the skies before calling themselves fliers. I have been on both an Arvon foundation and Poetry School writing course and subscribed to The Writer’s Magazine all of which has developed the manner in which I write my poetry. Before this, I created Home Grown Writing, a blog in which I post all that I write. More recently, I was published in an e-anthology, entered several poetry competitions – the results of which I should find out very soon - and was chosen to be the editor for the school magazine. I am already a writer but now I look to you to make me a poet. University is the final step and I look to you to hold out a hand and help me take the final leap in achieving my dream.

Robyn

0 comments: