Thought of the Day: Symone

Sitting in a Wilfred Owen lecture with my AS English Lit class (and about 10 other classes) I look around, one girl is reading a magazine, another is texting; three girls are gossiping with the two boys who reside behind them and another boy asleep on the shoulder of a friend. I can see, at least, 14 people with headphones in, and then there's me: frantically scribbling away on a piece of scrap paper. Now, don't take the impression that my class are outstanding, one girl from my class is on her DS; another is listening to her iPod; another appears to have more concentration on the attractive Hatch Ender beside her than anything else.
This is our 4th lecture today- we have about 5 mins left and the room knows it. The restless are becoming more and more active in their movements, more daring. One boy is already packing his bag.

These lectures are meant to be for our benefit- this is laughable as the amount of people i noticed bothering to take notes i could count on my hand. I have noticed that students- we seem to think that education is a joke- one could argue it is (the watering down of subjects etc- however that's another thought)- we are playing Russian roulette with our grades. Some of the points made today by lecturers were gold, yet the students I see before me seem more interested in the opposite sex, celebrities, and sleep. This is the future of Britain, is it any wonder why so many of the A-Level students (that i know) are having to resit exams taken in January?

My chemistry teacher was talking to us the other day, about the global brain race, about the shortage of jobs, and how when we get out of university, we will most likely still be knee deep in this 'recession'. He said, '... not only will you have to compete with each other for jobs, you'll also be competing with students from Japan, India, China and Africa. You need to have something more than just decent grades. Looking at your results, you're all probably going to end up with out a job, and you'll say 'I wish i listened to my teacher... he was right' Because, let's face it, when you leave university (if some of you make it that far), are you so naive to believe that you'll get that one last accounting job or that one last internship at that hospital. You've got your head screwed on wrong if you do...'

I think there will be a lot of surprised faces in August when we collect our results, resits all round. Society has become so relaxed with education, we will regret it.

0 comments: